architecture, Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, Cultural heritage, heritage structure, Ilocos Norte, Lighthouse, octagonal stone tower, philippine archipelago, Philippines, Spanish Colonial, spanish colonial period, travel
Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, also known as Burgos Lighthouse or Faro de Cabo Bojeador, is a cultural heritage structure in Burgos, Ilocos Norte, that was established during the Spanish Colonial period in the Philippines. It was first lit on March 30, 1892 and is set high on Vigia de Nagparitan Hill overlooking the scenic Cape Bojeador where early galleons used to sail by. After over 100 years, it still functions as a welcoming beacon to the international ships that enter the Philippine Archipelago from the north and guide them safely away from the rocky coast of the town.
The lighthouse was first designed by Magin Pers and Pers in 1887 and was finished by the Lighthouse Service under Guillermo Brockman. It is typical of the Spanish Colonial lighthouses which is all masonry made with bricks that are widely used and produced in the area. The 65-foot-tall (20 m) octagonal stone tower is topped with a bronze cupola and the viewing gallery is surrounded by decorative iron grill works.